HOW IT ALL GOT STARTED

Hello and thanks for visiting my climbing blog!

My name is Scott and I live in Atlanta, GA. I always had an interest in climbing mountains, but never really knew how to get started. In January of 2005, the company I was working for decided to open an office in Memphis and I volunteered to move and help get things kicked off. When I arrived in Memphis I only knew one person, whom I met a few years prior at a wedding, so I gave him a call. He agreed to meet me that evening, but couldn't stay out late because "...he was heading to Africa the next day." Upon meeting him that night, I learned he was leaving the next morning to try his hand at climbing Kilimanjaro.

The next morning, I was talking to my mother and telling her about the conversation from the previous night. During this conversation she asked me if I realized my Uncle Steve had been a climber for years. "No," I responded. She gave me his phone number and the following weekend I made a call to a relative I hadn't spoken to in years. Little did I know how much that call would change my life!

In the 6 years since, I've been to Africa (Tanzania & Kenya), Russia (Moscow & Mineral'Nye Vody), Mexico, Georgia (The country, not the state), and South America (Chile & Argentina), summitted Mt. Kilimanjaro, Mt. Elbrus, and Mt. Rainier, made two attempts at Cerro Aconcagua, an attempt at Ixta, made quick stops in London and Quito, Ecuador, met an endless number of extraordinary people, and developed a new relationship with my uncle.

The blog entries, pictures, and details below are my attempt to share my adventures with the rest of my friends and family. I hope you enjoy!

Friday, November 4, 2011

Just Chillin'

Today has been filled with many difficult decisions - It's 10am, do I keep sleeping or get up? Do I get an omelet or pancakes? Should I have bacon or sausage? Do I go outside or stay inside my gigantic suite that has two flat screen tvs, free Internet, a wet bar, views of the city from the 16th floor, and no smog? Do I watch the American version of ESPN or ESPN Deportes and try to improve my spanish? Do I go to Starbucks now or later?

So, Mexico City is pretty much as advertised. It was dark when we landed last night so I could only see city lights and no mountains. When I finally did decide to get out of bed this AM, I excitedly opened the curtain, assuming Id have good views since Im on the 16th floor. Well, there are views, but only a few miles. The haze covering the city is unlike anything Ive ever seen before. You can only see a few miles and certainly have no views of any mountains. Mexico City sits in a "bowl" type valley, so I'm told its a combination of the smog and lower level clouds.

Probably the most astonishing thing, was seeing the traffic on the flight in. Almost EVERY road you could see was backed up for miles in both directions and this was at 8:30pm at night (local time). As soon as I cracked the curtain this morning, traffic was already backed up again on the main road here (Paseo De La Reforma). Maybe when the sun sets tonight and the temperatures cool, some of this will lift and Ill get better views.

The hotel is fantastic though and theres really no reason to leave except to go for a walk (which Ill be doing here shortly). The continental breakfast was like being at the Waffle House, only better quality food - literally serving anything you wanted. It beats having the old bagel, pastry, and yogurt continental breakfast option.

Ok, Im tired from typing this email, I guess Ill go take another nap.

SZ

1 comment: