HOW IT ALL GOT STARTED

Hello and thanks for visiting my climbing blog!

My name is Scott and I live in Atlanta, GA. I always had an interest in climbing mountains, but never really knew how to get started. In January of 2005, the company I was working for decided to open an office in Memphis and I volunteered to move and help get things kicked off. When I arrived in Memphis I only knew one person, whom I met a few years prior at a wedding, so I gave him a call. He agreed to meet me that evening, but couldn't stay out late because "...he was heading to Africa the next day." Upon meeting him that night, I learned he was leaving the next morning to try his hand at climbing Kilimanjaro.

The next morning, I was talking to my mother and telling her about the conversation from the previous night. During this conversation she asked me if I realized my Uncle Steve had been a climber for years. "No," I responded. She gave me his phone number and the following weekend I made a call to a relative I hadn't spoken to in years. Little did I know how much that call would change my life!

In the 6 years since, I've been to Africa (Tanzania & Kenya), Russia (Moscow & Mineral'Nye Vody), Mexico, Georgia (The country, not the state), and South America (Chile & Argentina), summitted Mt. Kilimanjaro, Mt. Elbrus, and Mt. Rainier, made two attempts at Cerro Aconcagua, an attempt at Ixta, made quick stops in London and Quito, Ecuador, met an endless number of extraordinary people, and developed a new relationship with my uncle.

The blog entries, pictures, and details below are my attempt to share my adventures with the rest of my friends and family. I hope you enjoy!

Friday, November 4, 2011

Hola,

Another good day down in the land of Tequila and tacos. After typing the previous blog, I decided to get off my butt and do something productive, so I walked to the hotel that the entire team will be staying at tomorrow. Its only 3/4ths of a mile away, but Ill be lugging 90 pounds of climbing gear, a small suitcase, and my laptop bag. As I learned walking through the airport, trying to carry all 4 bags without them flipping over is next to impossible, therefore, Ill have to spring for a cab ($8). I didn't stay outside long because the smog was so bad - just like in Kenya, there's certainly no such thing as emissions control here. I'm not sure how anyone lives past 40.

When I got back I figured Id get the heart rate up a bit and hit the gym for a small lift and a light 30 minute jog. It felt good to get moving after sitting on the plane for 4 hours and then doing nothing today. I could barely even feel the altitude, so I think the Diamox is working. After my workout I hit the Starbucks and then came back and relaxed for a bit.

I walked around the surrounding streets trying to find another good spot to eat dinner, unfortunately, all the menus were in Spanish and I couldn't figure out what they said. I decided to go back to Evita in the hotel since it was so good last night and the menu has an English translation - why mess with a good thing.

I started tonight's dinner the same way as last night - a grilled chorizo appetizer - basically because it was excellent! The plate it's served on is similar to a sizzling fajita plate, so they bring you out an apron to wear since it splashes everywhere when you cut into it!


After the chorizo, I decided on a Grilled Pork Tenderloin with an apple puree. It was one of the best pieces of pork Ive ever had. It had some sort of light mustard glaze and it was cooked perfectly. Definitely better than the steak I had last night.

I even splurged tonight and had a Coke, the first time Ive had soda in over 2 months.

Babu - This is your type of restaurant. It reminds me of that Brazilian steakhouse Carnivores that we ate at in Africa. Gotta love places that serve nothing but animals!

Plan for tomorrow - I'm going to sleep in a bit and then hit the gym for another light run just to get the blood pumping and help get acclimatized to this altitude. After that, Ill pillage the "continental breakfast" and I have a cab coming at noon (we are mountain time here), so 2pm eastern. Ill toss a post up before I leave. I have no idea what to expect at the next hotel as far as Internet. It looked nice when I walked in, but theres no telling until I get there - either way, I'm sure its not cheap. We have our meet-and-greet team dinner tomorrow at 7pm, and then hit the road early Sunday AM.

For the remainder of tonight, I need to re-organize my gear, which should take at least an hour, and decide what I'm leaving behind.

That's all for now!

Onward and upward,
SZ

1 comment:

  1. Take a couple of aspirins daily to help thin out your blood. The food looks delicious. Wish I were there to chow down and climb. Be safe. Babu'

    ReplyDelete