HOW IT ALL GOT STARTED

Hello and thanks for visiting my climbing blog!

My name is Scott and I live in Atlanta, GA. I always had an interest in climbing mountains, but never really knew how to get started. In January of 2005, the company I was working for decided to open an office in Memphis and I volunteered to move and help get things kicked off. When I arrived in Memphis I only knew one person, whom I met a few years prior at a wedding, so I gave him a call. He agreed to meet me that evening, but couldn't stay out late because "...he was heading to Africa the next day." Upon meeting him that night, I learned he was leaving the next morning to try his hand at climbing Kilimanjaro.

The next morning, I was talking to my mother and telling her about the conversation from the previous night. During this conversation she asked me if I realized my Uncle Steve had been a climber for years. "No," I responded. She gave me his phone number and the following weekend I made a call to a relative I hadn't spoken to in years. Little did I know how much that call would change my life!

In the 6 years since, I've been to Africa (Tanzania & Kenya), Russia (Moscow & Mineral'Nye Vody), Mexico, Georgia (The country, not the state), and South America (Chile & Argentina), summitted Mt. Kilimanjaro, Mt. Elbrus, and Mt. Rainier, made two attempts at Cerro Aconcagua, an attempt at Ixta, made quick stops in London and Quito, Ecuador, met an endless number of extraordinary people, and developed a new relationship with my uncle.

The blog entries, pictures, and details below are my attempt to share my adventures with the rest of my friends and family. I hope you enjoy!

Wednesday, July 14, 2010

New toy!

After 4+ years of use, my Gregory backpack was due for an upgrade. It was a great piece of gear that helped get me to the summits of Kili and Elbrus, but with larger hikes looming (Aconcagua Part 2, Denali, etc...) a larger, better designed, extended trip backpack was needed.

After reading online reviews about several different leading backpacks (Gregory Palisades, Osprey Argon, Arc'Teryx Bora) and a trip to REI to try them on, I decided to buy the new REI model, the men's XT 85. Its a newer pack that was made this year and was designed to correct a lot of the flaws with previous extended trip backpacks. Since Ill be required to carry my own gear on Rainier and Aconcagua, I needed something that could comfortably carry 50-60 pounds. I had the store rep load some of these bags up to 55 pounds, and the REI pack, by far, was the most comfortable - It felt like carrying 30 pounds in my Gregory pack.

REI also offers a 100% money back guarantee since its their product - If I'm not satisfied after Rainier, I can return it and try something else (A major perk). Ill put some miles on it with test runs tomorrow and Saturday, so I should have a general idea of the feel before I actually leave.

The best part of all? The $350 I had in gift cards to REI so the bag was free! For me anyways! Thanks mom & dad, Barbara & Harry Trammell, Papa Trammell, Steph, and Jess!!! Pictures to come...

No comments:

Post a Comment