HOW IT ALL GOT STARTED

Hello and thanks for visiting my climbing blog!

My name is Scott and I live in Atlanta, GA. I always had an interest in climbing mountains, but never really knew how to get started. In January of 2005, the company I was working for decided to open an office in Memphis and I volunteered to move and help get things kicked off. When I arrived in Memphis I only knew one person, whom I met a few years prior at a wedding, so I gave him a call. He agreed to meet me that evening, but couldn't stay out late because "...he was heading to Africa the next day." Upon meeting him that night, I learned he was leaving the next morning to try his hand at climbing Kilimanjaro.

The next morning, I was talking to my mother and telling her about the conversation from the previous night. During this conversation she asked me if I realized my Uncle Steve had been a climber for years. "No," I responded. She gave me his phone number and the following weekend I made a call to a relative I hadn't spoken to in years. Little did I know how much that call would change my life!

In the 6 years since, I've been to Africa (Tanzania & Kenya), Russia (Moscow & Mineral'Nye Vody), Mexico, Georgia (The country, not the state), and South America (Chile & Argentina), summitted Mt. Kilimanjaro, Mt. Elbrus, and Mt. Rainier, made two attempts at Cerro Aconcagua, an attempt at Ixta, made quick stops in London and Quito, Ecuador, met an endless number of extraordinary people, and developed a new relationship with my uncle.

The blog entries, pictures, and details below are my attempt to share my adventures with the rest of my friends and family. I hope you enjoy!

Friday, December 10, 2010

Teams Descending Due To Wind

All teams camping high on Aconcagua have descended to base camp due to 70 mph winds and a -50 degree wind chill on the summit. They will remain at base camp until Sunday and then move back up once the winds settle down.

After being at or above base camp for almost a week now, the climbers are probably acclimatizing nicely. I presume some groups will go straight back up to Camp 2, stay for one night, instead of the customary two, and then move to Camp 3 the next day.

More as the reports come in...

SZ

1 comment:

  1. Cold is relative - Misery loves company - Mountaineering in Iowa - Just walked out to get the newspapers wearing a winter stocking cap and my trusty Mountain Hard Wear mountain all weather coat. The air is 2 degrees farenheit or -17 Celsius. Snow underfoot crunches as I walked down the ice covered driveway inching my way. The air is as cold as it gets this time of year. My breath a cloud of frost hang and then dropping like a rock disappearing into colder air - I swear it shattered as it hit the concrete! This follows Friday and Saturday nights 53 mph winds, that followed rain, then a temp drop below freezing followed by a few inches of snow and bitterly cold temperatures. Now the good news... this is a picnic compared to Aconcagua.

    ReplyDelete