HOW IT ALL GOT STARTED

Hello and thanks for visiting my climbing blog!

My name is Scott and I live in Atlanta, GA. I always had an interest in climbing mountains, but never really knew how to get started. In January of 2005, the company I was working for decided to open an office in Memphis and I volunteered to move and help get things kicked off. When I arrived in Memphis I only knew one person, whom I met a few years prior at a wedding, so I gave him a call. He agreed to meet me that evening, but couldn't stay out late because "...he was heading to Africa the next day." Upon meeting him that night, I learned he was leaving the next morning to try his hand at climbing Kilimanjaro.

The next morning, I was talking to my mother and telling her about the conversation from the previous night. During this conversation she asked me if I realized my Uncle Steve had been a climber for years. "No," I responded. She gave me his phone number and the following weekend I made a call to a relative I hadn't spoken to in years. Little did I know how much that call would change my life!

In the 6 years since, I've been to Africa (Tanzania & Kenya), Russia (Moscow & Mineral'Nye Vody), Mexico, Georgia (The country, not the state), and South America (Chile & Argentina), summitted Mt. Kilimanjaro, Mt. Elbrus, and Mt. Rainier, made two attempts at Cerro Aconcagua, an attempt at Ixta, made quick stops in London and Quito, Ecuador, met an endless number of extraordinary people, and developed a new relationship with my uncle.

The blog entries, pictures, and details below are my attempt to share my adventures with the rest of my friends and family. I hope you enjoy!

Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Links Galore!

Now for the interactive stuff! I added the interactive links (9) on the right side of the blog and they all start with "2010 Rainier" so they are easy to recognize. I removed the Aconcagua links, but will repost those after Rainier is wrapped up. I have posted links for the following:
  • A detailed itinerary
  • A short itinerary (Showing duration, elevation gain, and pack weight for each day - my favorite)
  • 4 different webcams (View of the summit, then views looking south, east, and west)
  • Summit weather
  • Wind Chill Converter
  • Route Conditions (Updated by RMI every few days and I auto linked it to my route - the Emmons Glacier)
Hopefully these links will make it easier to follow, especially with the itineraries. Now no one has to call the guiding companies to find out where we are at - but we won't mention names...

SZ

3 comments:

  1. Am I correctly reading the itinerary that on day 3 you gain 1600' and then on day 4 it's a 3,400' of elevation gain? Tough two days that's for sure. The knot, anchor and crevasse instruction looks interesting. This mountain is the place to do that training; that's for sure. I did see the training includes instruction on transceivers, so they may have one on you at all times. Again, hint-hint!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yah, thats correct. From talking with folks, thats what makes this mountain tough - you climb 3,400 feet with 50-60 pounds, get into camp around midday and try to nap, and then you leave at midnight for an 8 hour climb of 4,000 feet to the summit. Should be good practice for Aconcagua.

    Yes, we will have avalanche tranceivers at all times. Im actually renting mine instead of buying. It was like $35 to rent. Im really looking forward to the crevasse rescue stuff, thats one of the main reasons Im taking the class - well, that and you have to have the class before Denali.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Actually, to give you an idea of the steepness, you gain 3,400 feet over only 2 miles. Thats crazy.

    ReplyDelete